For years, NASA has been tracking the major transformations mankind has caused via satellites. Through the series, “Images of Change and World of Change”, NASA shows us before and after photos of locations all around the world. Here are some of the most revealing changes.
NASA 1. Shanghai, China, taken on April 23, 1984.
Another image captured on July 20, 2016, shows the rapid urban expansion over the last four decades
2. Wildfire near Ashland, Kansas. Image captured on March 1, 2017.
The same location on March 17, 2017, days after the raging fires
3. Images taken on November 27, 2001 and November 12, 2012 show the rapid expansion of United Arab Emirates.
A chain of artificial islands was built within a period of 11 years.
4. Images captured in 2000 and 2007 shows the oil sands boom in Alberta, Canada.
5. A manmade fire rages through the grasslands and woodlands surrounding Etosha National Park.
6. The Aral Sea was once the world’s fourth-largest lake. It’s rapidly shrinking due to diversions of the rivers that sustained it.
7. Images taken on July 28, 1986 and July 2, 2014 show Alaska’s Columbia Glacier rapidly receding.
8. Images captured on January 31, 2002 and February 17, 2002 show how fast Antarctica’s Larsen B ice shelf is disintegrating.
9. The United States tackling air pollution over a period of six years.
10. Dry Summers cause Iran’s Lake Urmia to dry out and change its color.